Friday, June 17, 2005

Meeting No. 4

Just had a very long meeting (105 minutes) with Ernesto.

JDOM Migration: Ernesto is happy with the work done and my report on it. From now on Robin and I are to work alone, unless we wish to discuss system features that might benefit both of us.

Business Case: Ernesto liked my ideas for potential business applications of my system, notably the use of ontologies to aid desktop searching. He thinks this may be more appealing than crawling web pages to find all documents to work with, as that is quite common functionality and not overly exciting.

We also went through my list of papers earmarked for reading. Ernesto had many good tips for how to spot a good paper (at least 10 pages, not more than 4 years old). I will annotate my paper list with the comments he made then begin working through those deemed worth a look.

My next deadline is set for next Friday, when I should produce a page of bullet points giving an overview of what I've found to be common among the research done by other institutes and perhaps what is missing or has not yet been tried properly. I should also look into finding systems for grammar tokenisation (ie. converting natural language to a string giving the main terms and their sense (noun/verb/etc)) that I may be able to use rather than starting from scratch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home